2016 RECAP VIDEO
JAPAN KICK OFF PARTY
BEHIND THE SCENES – MEET THE UGM TEAM
FLY HIGH WITH UNITED AIRLINES
MESSAGE FROM OUR RACE DIRECTOR
On behalf of the United Airlines Guam Marathon, THANK YOU for your interest in our 2017 event! We hope the information that we will be sharing via our newly updated monthly newsletter will help you and your families prepare for the race and enjoy the event even more.
Here in the Coach’s Corner, we’ll be featuring some of Guam’s most avid runners who will be sharing some of their best running tips from injury prevention to fueling up and recovery. With the race just six months away, you might be thinking, “How do I get started? How can I ensure a pleasant experience?” We are here to help!
- Are you healthy? We want you to start and finish your race in a healthy condition. It's always best to be on the safe side. Make an appointment with your doctor for a complete physical, explain your goals, and ensure that you are medically capable of running your race before you get started.
- Make a Plan. Sit down and map out your calendar to help you assess how much time you can commit. Set a realistic schedule for training. Creating a training program that best works for you is essential to meeting your goals.
- Set Goals. List the things you want to achieve for yourself. Be specific with your goals. Be realistic but bring personal meaning to your goal. When your reasons for running are highly personal, you're more likely to find motivation when training gets tough.
Thank you very much for your participation. Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you have questions, comments or in need of any assistance at all. We look forward to seeing you in April!
Registration for the United Airlines Guam Marathon 2017 is now open. Click the Register Online button below. Entry fees are non-transferable and non-refundable.
UNITED AIRLINES BECOMES TITLE SPONSOR OF THE GUAM INTERNATIONAL MARATHON
Guam Sports Events, Inc. (GSE) and United Airlines, Inc. announced on Tuesday, August 23 that United has become the official title sponsor for the 2017 marathon event. Sam Shinohara, United’s Managing Director, said “United Airlines, Guam’s hometown airline, has been a strong supporter of the Guam International Marathon since its inception in 2013. We are proud to be the official title sponsor in the fifth year of this event. United’s global team stands ready to support the event through our network of 80,000 employees, and particularly through our six sales offices in Japan, to help make this the biggest and best event in its history. I am confident that the event will provide another great sports tourism experience for our customers, who can enjoy a premier running event in a beautiful beach destination.”
GSE Managing Director Ben Ferguson added, “We are proud to partner with one of the most prestigious airline brands in the world. We believe that the strong recognition of a world-class airline such as United will help propel the event to new international heights at this point in its lifecycle. Locally, United has been such a great supporter of the marathon and sports tourism in general, and we look forward to working even closer with their team to make this event a greater success for Guam!”
Ferguson attributes the great strides in the marathon’s growth to the continued support it has received from the Guam Visitors Bureau and community partners, along with valuable, longstanding relationships with other key marathon sponsors.
The United Airlines Guam Marathon, in its fifth year, is organized by Guam Sports Events Inc., a non-profit organization that hosts annual running and cycling events to promote Guam’s Håfa Adai spirit and grow sports tourism on Guam. The United Airlines Guam Marathon, Guam’s first IAAF approved marathon race, will take place on Sunday, April 9, 2017. Considered Guam’s premier running event, the UGM includes 5K, 10K, half marathon (13.1 miles) and marathon (26.2 miles) race distances. All courses have been officially certified by the IAAF (International Association of Athletic Federations) and AIMS (Association of International Marathons and Distance Races). This designation means that marathon runners may use this as a qualifying event for the Boston Marathon. Complete event details and registration can be found on the official event website at unitedguammarathon.com. The Guam Visitors Bureau and the Pacific Islands Club are gold level sponsors of the event which in 2016 welcomed nearly 4,000 runners from 21 countries, of which nearly 1,000 runners were from Japan.
Event organizers Guam Sports Event Inc. along with United Airlines and Guam Visitors Bureau celebrate the upcoming United Airlines Guam Marathon at a launch event held in Tokyo, Japan on September 29th.
Name: Rene Logie
Title: Event Manager
Favorite Food: Sushi
What do you like most about supporting the United Airlines Guam Marathon?
“I like to see everything come together on race day. We plan all year for the event; there are so many details that go in to preparation of race day. When it finally comes to fruition, and you see how much the runners are enjoying the event, we know it was a successful event.”
RACE AMBASSADOR NAOKO TAKAHASHI RETURNS FOR 2017 EVENT
Olympic Gold Medalist Naoko Takahashi will be returning as this year’s Race Ambassador. In her capacity as Race Ambassador, Ms. Takahashi will appear at the event Expo on Friday, April 7 and Saturday, April 8, 2022 and will host running clinics on both days. Ms. Takahashi’s participation will continue on race day as she serves as the official race starter and cheerleader out on the course and at the finish line.
Supremely popular throughout Japan, Ms. Takahashi is lauded for winning the gold medal in the women’s marathon at the 2000 Olympic Games in Sydney, Australia. At the 2001 Berlin Marathon, Ms. Takahashi became the first woman in the world to break the 2 hour 20 minute barrier with a world record with a time of 2:19:46
As Guam's hometown airline and the official airline of the United Airlines Guam Marathon 2017, United Airlines invites race participants to take advantage of a special airline offer. United is proud to have the world’s most comprehensive route network, with United Airlines and United Express operating more than 4,500 flights a day to 339 airports across five continents.
Fun Facts about Guam --
- Can you believe that for such a tiny island that the island of Guam touches two bodies of water? That means you can take a dip in the Pacific Ocean as well as the Philippine Sea!
- You can expect to enjoy a tropical marine climate with generally warm & humid weather. But keep in mind, rainy season falls during the months of July through December!
- Guam is the largest island in the Mariana Island chain, so be sure to venture out and explore our friendly neighbors: Rota, Saipan, and Tinian.
- Latte stones that can be found around the island were used to support the houses of upper classes in ancient Guam – so be sure to take a picture with them if you can find one!
- The capital of Guam, Hagatna, is believed to be one of the oldest European cities in the Pacific.
- Guam’s stunning white sand is not sand, but actually ground coral!
- Although Tumon Bay is the most visited area of the island, don’t forget to take a road trip to other parts of the island where you can enjoy hikes and off-roading adventures!
- Guam’s length measures approximately 30 miles and the width ranges from 12 to 4 miles! That means you can run under a full marathon and already run its entire length!
- Did you know that you could hike up Mt. Lam Lam, Guam’s highest point?
- Guam’s motto is “Where America’s Day begins” due to it being a U.S. territory and 20 hours ahead of Hawai’i.